Director/Principal: Mrs Janis Pianta
Janis always knew she wanted to ‘dance and teach’ right from the early age of 5. Her experiences in dance training and teaching now span nearly 40 years. Janis holds many University Degrees in Dance Studies along with various other dance accredited certificates. Workshops and training attended over the many years are just too numerous to mention.
After moving from Melbourne to Bairnsdale in 1980 with husband and young son, her initiatives as an early dance pioneer in Bairnsdale was to expose local children to a variety of dance styles and experiences and of course this has been achieved.
Janis’ initiatives have also filtrated into the Department of Education of Training local schools where Janis initiated once again Bairnsdale Secondary College and Paynesville Primary School school children to participate in the Education Department’s major bi-annual performing arts event ‘Joining the Chorus’. Justin Zee from JPSD become a member of the elite dance troupe during the 90’s.
Janis also trained in ‘Ice-Figure Skating’ with Australian Olympian Companion of the 1970’s, Sharon Burley, taking private classes and a formal examination in Figure Skating at Ringwood Ice Skating Rink Melbourne at the time.
Weekly Calisthenics classes in the 60’s were also a part of Janis’ early training experiences.
Since inception, The Jan Pianta School of Dance or J.P.S.D. has had a few homes: Paynesville RSL Hall, Former C.W.A Building (now Bairnsdale Bridge Hall), Nagle College Drama Room, Rupert Street former Bairnsdale Technical School, Picnic Point Hall and since 2003, J.P.S.D. operates out of the former Prince Albert Theatre (Cremin Hall).
During the late 1800’s and early 1900’s , Janis grandmother, Olive Hueton performed on the stage at Cremin Hall, as a member of the original Bairnsdale Theatre Company, the stage now being one of JPSD studios.
Tertiary Qualifications – Dance and Other Interests – All National Standards Recognized.
- Grad. Dip of Creative Industries (Dance Teaching) – Queensland University of Technology
- Grad. Dip of Education (Secondary Teaching) – Monash University Victoria
- Grad. Certificate in Theology – Harvest College Melbourne
- Bachelor General Studies (Law) – Griffiths University, Queensland
- Diploma of Dance Teaching and Management – CUS50311 – ATOD
- Cert. IV in Training and Assessment – TAE40110 – Livingston College W.A. (updated in 2019 to TAE40116).
Further Dance Teaching Qualifications
- SATD Associate Certificate – Theatrical Jazz
- SATD Junior Certificate – Theatrical Jazz
- SFD – Teachers Certificate – Theatrical Jazz
- GWT – Glenn Wood Tap Teachers Certificate – Tap
- Step by Step – Classical Ballet Theory Certificate Course
Memberships / Registrations
- Cecchetti Ballet Australia – since 2003
- Australian Teachers of Dance – ATOD – since 2003
- SFD – Foundation Member since 1987
- Glenn Wood Tap – since 2003
- ISTD – Since 2007
- AUSDANCE – since early 80’s – (AusDance is a Government funding organisation that promotes dance in Australia with members having access to current information).
Awards / Recognition
- Finalist in East Gippsland Business Awards – 2013
- Cecchetti Ballet Isolated Teachers Scholarship – 2011
- Sale Adjudicators Choreographic Winner – 2009
- Two page article about Jan Pianta’s teaching achievements in ‘Dance Australia’ Magazine 2009
- Foundation Secretary and Member of East Gippsland / Bairnsdale – First Dance Eisteddfod – 1992
- JPSD – Best Recreational Entry in Bairnsdale Street Parades during 1990’s.
- JPSD – Runner Up in Bairnsdale Street Parades during 1990’s.
- Janis Pianta – Runner Up in Bairnsdale Talent Show held by former Marban Music – late 1980’s.
- Latin, Jazz and Primitive Contemporary -Antonio Rodriquez (Company dancer with the Katherine Dunham Dance Company USA)
- Jazz and Tap – Fayette Corlass-Brown Studios – Camberwell and Hawthorn in Melbourne (Teacher former Channel Nine dancer and Choreographer), Eve Reddish School of Dance Bairnsdale – SATD – Jazz and Tap. All examinations taken from beginner level to Advanced.
- Classical Ballet – Borovansky & SATD – Eve Reddish School of Dance Bairnsdale. Examinations taken in Borovansky and SATD.
- Classical Ballet – Cecchetti – Numerous Teachers and workshops (Victorian College of the Arts, Australian Ballet School, Queensland University, as well as in Sydney and Perth.
- Contemporary Dance – Workshops: Adam Wheeler ATOD, Graeme Murphy & Janet Vernon.
Professional Dancer / Choreographer
- 1978 – Tasman Talent Agency – Mr. Whytes Disco Fantasy Touring Group
- Bairnsdale Theatre Company Choreographer – Oklahoma Production
- Department of Education and Training – Joining the Chorus
- Numerous solos/duos/troupes in all facets of dance styles
Dance Assessor / Tutor
- 2021 – Completing Adjudicator Training – Transit Dance & Australian Institute of Education and Training.
- 2021 – Certified Teacher: Progressive Ballet Technique (PBT)
- Since 2016 – Australian College of Dance (ADC) in NSW.
- 2003-2006 – Initiator of ‘Certificate 11 in Dance (VET) in VCE at East Gippsland TAFE (now Federation University) for students in Sale and Bairnsdale campuses.