Janis always knew she wanted to ‘dance and teach’ right from the early age of 5. Her experiences in dance training and teaching now reach 41 years. Janis holds many University Degrees in Dance Studies along with various other dance accredited certificates and qualifications. Workshops and training courses attended over the many years are just too numerous to mention. Janis had a short dancing career with Tasman Talent Agency in the late 70’s (which is still operating today) – evening having performed with Paul Hammond dancers at the Exhibition Building in Melbourne at a festival with pop singer of the time – Issi Dye.
After moving from Melbourne to Bairnsdale in 1980 with husband and then young son, her initiatives as an early dance pioneer in Bairnsdale was to expose local children to quality dance tuition and experiences, and of course this has certainly been achieved.
Janis’ initiatives have also filtrated into the Department of Education of Training for local schools where Janis initiated Bairnsdale Secondary College and Paynesville Primary School school children into the Education Department’s major bi-annual performing arts event ‘Joining the Chorus’ held at Ron Laver Arena in Melbourne.
Janis trained in ‘Ice-Figure Skating’ at the then Ringwood Ice Skating Centre in the 1970’s with Australian Olympian Companion Sharon Burley – even an Ice Skating exam was taken.
Weekly Calisthenics classes in the 60’s were also a part of Janis’ early training experiences.
Since inception, Jan Pianta School of Dance or JPSD as it is now known, has had it studios in Paynesville RSL Hall, Former C.W.A Building (now Bairnsdale Bridge Hall), Nagle College Drama Room, Rupert Street Rooms – former Bairnsdale Technical School, Picnic Point Hall and since 2003, JPSD operates out of the former Prince Albert Theatre – Cremin Hall.
During the late 1800’s and early 1900’s , Janis grandmother, Olive Hueton (a street in Lucknow is named after the family as the family have been acknowledged as part of the early settlers into Bairnsdale) performed on the stage at Cremin Hall, as a member of the original Bairnsdale Theatre Company, the stage now being one of JPSD studios.
- Grad. Dip of Creative Industries (Dance Teaching) – Queensland University of Technology
- Grad. Dip of Education (Secondary Teaching) – Monash University Victoria
- Grad. Certificate in Theology – Harvest College Melbourne
- Bachelor General Studies (Law) – Griffiths University, Queensland
- Diploma of Dance Teaching and Management – CUS50311 – ATOD
- Cert. IV in Training and Assessment – TAE40110 – Livingston College W.A. (compulsory update in 2019 to TAE40116).
Further Dance Teaching Qualifications
- SATD Associate Certificate – Theatrical Jazz
- SATD Junior Certificate – Theatrical Jazz
- SFD – Teachers Certificate – Theatrical Jazz
- GWT – Glenn Wood Tap Teachers Certificate – Tap
- Step by Step – Classical Ballet Theory Certificate Course
Memberships / Registrations
- Cecchetti Ballet Australia – since 2003
- Australian Teachers of Dance – ATOD – since 2003
- SFD – Foundation Member since 1987
- Glenn Wood Tap – since 2003
- ISTD – Since 2007
- AUSDANCE – since early 80’s – (AusDance is a Government funding organisation that promotes dance in Australia with members having access to current information).
- IADMS – International Association of Dance Medicine and Science
- AICD – Australian Institute of Classical Dance
- PBT – Progressive Ballet Technique
Awards / Recognition
- Cecchetti Ballet Vic in conjunction with Energetiks Australia – Isolated Teachers Scholarship – 2023
- Cecchetti Ballet Vic in conjunction with Energetiks Australia – Isolated Teachers Scholarship -2022
- City of Sale Eisteddfod Adjudicator’s Choreographic Award for Lyrical solo performed beautifully by Chloe Moulton – 2022
- Finalist in East Gippsland Business Awards – 2013
- Cecchetti Ballet Isolated Teachers Scholarship – 2011
- City of Sale Eisteddfod Adjudicator’s Choreographic Award for Contemporary solo performed beautifully by Semi Ruthford – 2009
- Two page article about Jan Pianta’s teaching achievements in ‘Dance Australia’ Magazine 2009
- Foundation Secretary and Member of East Gippsland / Bairnsdale First Dance Eisteddfod – 1992
- JPSD – Best Recreational Entry in Bairnsdale Street Parades during 1990’s.
- JPSD – Runner Up in Bairnsdale Street Parades during 1990’s.
- Janis Pianta – Runner Up in Bairnsdale Talent Show held by former Marban Music – 1980’s.
- Miss Blackburn Midget Competition – 1960’s.
- Latin, Jazz and Primitive Contemporary -Antonio Rodriquez (Company dancer with the Katherine Dunham Dance Company USA)
- Jazz and Tap – Fayette Corlass-Brown Studios – Camberwell and Hawthorn in Melbourne (Teacher & former Channel Nine dancer and Choreographer), Eve Reddish School of Dance Bairnsdale – SATD – Jazz and Tap. All examinations taken from beginner level to Advanced.
- Classical Ballet – Borovansky & SATD – Eve Reddish School of Dance Bairnsdale. Examinations taken in Borovansky and SATD.
- Classical Ballet – Cecchetti – Numerous Teachers and workshops (Victorian College of the Arts, Australian Ballet School, Queensland University)
- Contemporary Dance – Workshops: Adam Wheeler ATOD, Graeme Murphy OBE & Janet Vernon OBE
Professional Dancer / Choreographer
- 1978 – Tasman Talent Agency – Mr. Whytes Disco Fantasy Touring Group
- Bairnsdale Theatre Company Choreographer – Oklahoma Production
- Department of Education and Training – Joining the Chorus
- Numerous solos/duos/troupes in all facets of dance styles for students entering competition and Eisteddfods
Dance Assessor / Tutor
- 2021 – Completed Adjudicator Training – Transit Dance & Australian Institute of Education and Training.
- 2021 – Certified Teacher with Progressive Ballet Technique (PBT)
- Since 2016 – Australian College of Dance (ADC) in NSW.
- 2003-2006 – Initiator of ‘Certificate 11 in Dance (VET) in VCE at East Gippsland TAFE (now Federation University) for students in Sale and Bairnsdale campuses.